This is a mega post: investing in rental properties – the complete guide to long-term investment property. Investing in rental properties can be an incredible investment if you buy them cheap and with cash flow. My blog InvestFourMore has over 400 articles, so this will help you navigate through some of the most important articles on the site not just for investment property, but for everything real estate related.
What you’ll find in this article
- 1 What you’ll find in this article
- 2 Get updates on my flips and rental properties through Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- 3 Why should you invest in long-term rental properties?
- 4 Help from me on Rentals, Flips, Investment Properties, and Being an Agent
- 5 How can you retire early with rental properties?
- 6 Investing in rental properties with an IRA or 401k
- 7 Getting started and educating yourself as a real estate investor
- 8 Becoming a real estate agent will help you invest in rental properties
- 9 Invest Four More calculators for rental properties
- 10 Where to find potential rental properties
- 11 eBooks and PDF books from Invest Four More
- 12 How to finance and buy investment properties
- 13 How to manage, rent and sell your rental property
- 14 Great articles on how to fix and flip homes
- 15 Long distance investing in rental properties
- 16 Want to start your own blog?
- 17 Self-help and positive attitude
- 18 Conclusion
Get updates on my flips and rental properties through Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
I post much more information than just what you see on the blog. I post pictures, updates on flips, rentals and much more on social media.
Why should you invest in long-term rental properties?
I invest in rental properties because of the fantastic returns they give me. I wrote an article about how much money you can make on rental properties here. Most money magazines and books tell you to invest money in the stock market, mutual funds and bonds and in 30 years you can build up enough money to retire. I was surprised at how much I had to invest to have enough money for retirement, and I also had to guess how long I was going to live so I didn’t run out of money! I knew there had to be a better way then trying to guess how long I was going to live to determine how much money to save for retirement. It was depressing looking at how much I had to save and depressing trying to figure out how long I would live. After doing more and more research, I discovered passive income is the key to early retirement. Passive income is money you have coming in every month without doing any work. The best way to get passive income is to start a business that runs by itself.
Help from me on Rentals, Flips, Investment Properties, and Being an Agent
- Complete Blueprint for Successful Real Estate Investing
Having trouble figuring out how to start investing in rental properties? My ultimate product is the Complete Blueprint for Successful Real Estate Investing and will teach you how to invest in rental properties and where to start. The program includes a 300 page guide, 4 hours of audio CDs, conference calls, calls to action, audio and instructions on how to create your own investing strategy. The program also comes with one-on-one coaching from me. Check out more information here.
- Six Figure Real Estate Agent Success System
This program is for real estate agents looking to start selling a lot of houses very quickly. Real estate classes teach you the laws regarding real estate, but they do not teach you how to sell houses. This program does and comes with coaching from me, audio CDs and MP3’s, worksheets, conference calls and much more. You can see the details here.
- REO and BPO starter kit
Are you a real estate agent having trouble finding your niche? The world of REO lifted me above the normal real estate agent and has been awesome. I created my own product on how to list REO properties. I have listed and sold over 400 REO and HUD homes in the last three years and I detail how to get into the business here.
- Fix and Flip Your Way to Financial Freedom, is a full length book I wrote on flipping houses and is available at Amazon as a paperback or eBook. You can also get the book on my store here as a PDF.
How can you retire early with rental properties?
I don’t want to retire at 65 or even 55; I want to be able to retire when I am 40 (I am 37 now). I have been able to create a passive income of over $6,000 a month in my first three and a half years of investing in rental properties. That income does not include tax advantages, equity pay down or appreciation. I figured my net worth has increased by $600,000 thanks to rental properties. I paid off about 3 years after I purchased it by re-investing my cash flow. Here I explain why real estate is so much better than the stock market.
Investing in rental properties with an IRA or 401k
You are not limited to investing money in your IRA or 401k in just the stock market. There is something called a self-directed IRA or 401k that allows you to buy assets like real estate, gold, notes and much more. Here is an article with many more details.
Getting started and educating yourself as a real estate investor
In order to make this guide a little shorter, I wrote another article that includes great resources for investors. I include websites, suggested books, REI clubs, lenders and much more information in that article. Being as educated as possible is very important if you want to become a successful investor.
Becoming a real estate agent will help you invest in rental properties
I got into real estate because I needed a job after college and my father has been a Realtor since 1978. Real estate was an easy way to gain employment, although I didn’t plan on being an agent for very long. 13 years later I am still a real estate agent and I love it! I make my schedule, make a lot of money and I don’t have a boss! There are many ways to make money in real estate, and you don’t have to be a sales person to succeed. I am not a sales person, in fact I don’t even work with traditional buyers or sellers. I am a REO agent, which I discuss much more here. Not only can you make a lot of money by becoming an agent, you can also save a ton of money on your own rental properties and find more rental properties by being an agent. Here is an article that describes exactly why you should become a real estate agent if you want to invest in rental properties. If you don’t want to become a Realtor, one of your first steps should be to find a great Realtor who can help you find houses. Here is an article on how to find an investor friendly real estate agent. Here are some more great articles for anyone interested in becoming a real estate agent.
Invest Four More calculators for rental properties
I have created a couple of calculators for people to determine if a property will be a good investment. Be sure to check out these two calculators to determine how much money you will make each month on a rental property and what your yearly returns will be on that property. The Cash flow calculator and the Cash on cash return calculator
Where to find potential rental properties
Finding properties to buy is one of the most important keys to a great investment strategy. I provide many ways to find properties here. Not only do these resources help you find great deals on homes, but they help you determine values and potential profits in your market. I discuss how to buy properties at below market value here. Valuing properties is not easy either if you are not a Realtor. I have a great article here on how to value homes; I would not count on Zillow to be correct.
eBooks and PDF books from Invest Four More
I have published 6 E-books on real estate, which can be purchased from the Invest Four More store right here. You can also buy the books at Amazon.
- How to Buy Real Estate Below Market Value, is available at Amazon as an 113 page eBook or in PDF for only $9.99. Having trouble finding great deals to flip or buy as rental properties? The book contains great information on how I find and buy real estate below market value for fix and flips and long-term rentals.
- How to Make it Big in Real Estate, is available at Amazon as an 125 page eBook or in PDF for only $9.99. If you are just starting out as a real estate agent and looking for ideas on how to boost business, or a seasoned agent looking for new ideas, this book explains the techniques I have used and how you can made it big in real estate as a real estate agent.
- How to Finance Multiple Rental Properties, is available at Amazon as a 99 page eBook or in PDF for only $9.99. Are you having a hard time finding financing for rental properties or do you have more than four or more than ten mortgages? The book explains how to get loans for multiple rentals, for fix and flips or for an owner occupied home.
- Retire Rich and Early with Real Estate, is available at Amazon as an 113 page eBook or as a PDF for only $9.99. Still not sure rental properties are a great investment? I explain all the benefits of rental properties and why they are so awesome.
- Build a Rental Property Empire: The no-nonsense book on finding deals, financing the right way, and managing wisely. The book is 374 pages long, comes in paperback or as an eBook and is an Amazon best seller.
- Fix and Flip Your Way to Financial Freedom: For more information on flipping houses, including how I average over $30,000 profit on each flip, check out my bestselling book . It is available as a paperback or eBook.
How to finance and buy investment properties
There are many ways to build your rental property empire and start building wealth and passive income. One of the more important aspects of building a rental property strategy is how you finance your properties. Here are a number of articles on different rental property financing options and rental property strategies.
- I discuss what type of property works best for my model here.
- I discuss what type of loan works best for my strategy here.
- Here is an article on how much money you will need to purchase a rental property.
- I discuss how to get into your first rental property for little money down here.
- I discuss how to get loans easily on more than four properties in this post, (this has become a tough find for many investors)
- How to find a portfolio lender
- How re-financing can bring you even greater returns on your rental properties.
- A few things to watch out for when investing in rental properties here.
- How to make big profits on Real Estate without paying taxes
- Can you really afford your primary residence?
- How to make an offer on a house
- How to buy houses below market value
- The top 9 ways to invest in Real Estate
- How to buy an REO property
- How to buy a short sale
How to manage, rent and sell your rental property
Once you buy and finance a rental property, you are not done. You need to know how to repair, rent and possibly sell you rental properties.
- How to repair investment property
- How to Rent a house
- How to find a great property manager
- Why I use the snowball strategy to pay off one property at a time
- When saving your cash might be a better option than the snowball method
- How to sell a home for the most money
- How to make a million dollars investing in rental properties
Great articles on how to fix and flip homes
Not only do I invest in long-term rentals, I also buy fix and flips. I have written a few articles and taken a few videos on some of my fix and flips.
- Fix and flip; a case study
- The complete guide to flipping houses
- Is it better to fix and flip or buy and hold?
- Pictures of recent fix and flips
- Video of a fix and flip
- How much money can you make with fix and flips
- How I decide whether to flip or hold
- How to finance fix and flips
- How to make more money with fix and flips
Long distance investing in rental properties
Not everyone lives in a great market for making money on rental properties. If you are interested in investing in long-distance rental properties, I have written multiple articles on the subject.
How to invest in and repair long-distance rental properties
Want to start your own blog?
I started using Blogger.com when I started writing, then moved to WordPress and finally switched to Blue Host. I just switched to GoDaddy, because Blue Host has really gone down hill. I used to use WordPress email sign ups, but I recently switched to Get Response and it has been great. I can send custom email campaigns, select the time, select titles and see my email list at any time. I also have had many more people sign up since switching. The service is free and works great. Of course GoDaddy is a great site for seeing if a domain name is available. I wrote a detailed article on how much writing a blog has helped my business here.
Self-help and positive attitude
I am a huge fan of being positive, writing down goals and making things happen for ourselves. I have many articles on how I try to be positive and positive things happening in my life. I am writing a new series of articles that describe how I have found success including being positive, setting goals and changing your attitude for success. Here is the first article in the series and some more positive articles.
This blog has a lot of information and it can take some time to read through everything. Remember, the best things in life don’t come easily and quickly. Investing in long-term rental properties takes time, money and knowledge. However, it takes a lot less time than a 9-5 job, may make you a lot more money, and probably takes less knowledge and stress. Don’t be intimidated if you don’t understand everything right away or have a lot of questions. Please feel free to comment or e-mail me and I will do my best to answer your questions. Info@markfergusoninvestment.com is the best way to email me personally if you don’t want to comment. Also, if you haven’t already, by signing up to follow Invest Four More by email I will send you four free books, free videos and much more. If you want get a kick start investing check out my complete blueprint.